Point Comfort - October 4th, 2023

Neumie
Site Admin

Point Comfort - October 4th, 2023

Post by Neumie »

The twelfth annual Rockport Redfish Round Up kicked off on Wednesday, well really Tuesday for most of us. I drove down Tuesday after work meeting Whit, Andy, Ron, and Lou at the cabin in Rockport.

We plan these trips months out so we always expect a curveball on these trips. Mother nature gave us several in our forecast. Firstly, tide levels were running about 16 inches higher than forecast; which does happen in October. Wednesday called for scattered showers. Thursday had a cold front blowing through and more rain. Friday-Sunday called for high winds. Putting on our big boy pants for this one.

Wednesday morning we split up, Ron and Lou went to Estes to fish the falling tide at Little Cut. We went north towards Port Lavaca. Initially, we stopped at Indianola and were met with water all the way up to the road. I didn't have much confidence here, so we drove across the causeway to Point Comfort to fish the Lavaca River Delta. I felt that marsh would fish better with the high tides. At the launch I realized I left my tackle bag, GPS, and rain jacket back at the cabin. Luckily I carry a small tackle store with me and was able to easily set myself up for the day.

We launched around 7:30 am.

We made our way into the cove and to one of the many sloughs into the back lake. We sort of split up from there. There were signs of activity with shrimp, small and large, jumping out of the water and some nervous water. Blind casting into sloughs I hooked up with a big red. IT took awhile to land because it kept running up and down the slough and managed to get sideways and stuck. I eventually brought an over slot red to hand.

I thought this was going to be a good sign, but we really had to work to catch some fish today. Early on we got side swiped by a couple of goof rain showers.

After the first shower I found a redfish crashing shrimp in the grass. As soon as I got to casting distance the fish went under. I sat for a bit hoping for it show herself, but she never did, so with a blind cast at a small disturbance I got lucky and caught her.

We eventually made it out of the first marsh where I suggested we head to the next one since it was a one way in, one way out; hoping to jump some reds on the falling tide. Way back in the last marsh at the very northerly pocket Whit hooked up with is keeper.

Since we had quite a bit to do back at the cabin and an hour drive we started to paddle back in. The 2+ mile paddle back to the launch had us getting a hit by our third shower. It lasted about 2/3rds of the way back.

When we got back to the launch I was obviously soaking wet, but even with their jackets so were Andy and Whit. Oh well, at least it wasn't thunder and lightning. We loaded u and headed back to Rockport to meet up with Ron and Lou. Whit cleaned fish while Andy and I ran into town to get shrimp (Flowers is the best) and oysters for dinner. As is tradition we kick off the trip with a meal at the cabin. This year would be fried shrimp, fried oysters, fried redfish, hushpuppies, coleslaw, and an avocado cucumber salad.

We finished the night with cigars and liquor out on the bluff.

Link to Ron's Report for his trip on Estes this day: viewtopic.php?t=256258

Meteorological Observations
Time: 7:30 am - 1:30 pm
Air Temp: 82°F - 87°F
Wind: 5-10 kn SSE-SSW (gusting to 15 kn)
Barometric Pressure: 1011 mb (more or less stable)
Sky: Some Sun with rain
Water Clarity: <12” In
Water Temp: 85°F
Structure: Mud

Solunar
Sunrise/set: 7:21 am/7:50 pm
Moonset/rise: 15:52pm/11:05 pm
Moon Phase: Waning Gibbous (75%)

Predicted Tides @ Port Lavaca (MLLW)
High @ 4:23 am (1.52 ft)
Low @ 5:45 pm (0.43 ft)

Lures
Spectrum Spook Jr
Green Ghost Buggs Double Bunny Jig
Glow Savage Gear 3D Shrimp
1/4oz weedless Gold Spoon

Fish
Reds: 2 Keepers, one overslot, two lower slots

Approximate GPS Track
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Point Comfort - October 4th, 2023

Post by Ron Mc »

Great day Josh - and perfect report.
Also, that was a wonderful meal.

While I wanted to get in a marsh day this year, wouldn't have traded my day on Estes for anything.
txanalogkd

Post by txanalogkd »

Looks like you all had a great time. Love the march pic's. Over the years, I have developed a love for the marsh. Thanks for sharing.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I enjoyed very moment of that trip, Neumie. Estes flat was one of my favorite spots.

Thanks for sharing.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

I have fished PC quite a bit and you put in some miles paddling. Nice job and nice report!
And the meal looked pretty darn good as well.
Thanks!