Large Tilapia, Lake Houston, 4\19

greyloon
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Large Tilapia, Lake Houston, 4\19

Post by greyloon »

Caught this one while casting my net for bait in a shallow cover. Should have stayed with the net, maybe I would have added to the collection. Catfishing wasn't that good, only caught 4 14-15" blues. They are now residing in my freezer. Unfortunately, the Tilapia slipped out of my hands back into the water. They're as slippery as a blue cat, but more difficult ot hold onto.
Attachments
tilapia, lake houston.jpg
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

How long in inches was the tilapia? It seems huge from the picture.
Beve
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Beve »

Wow Greyloon that thing is a beast! :shock:

I've caught some in the cast net before, but never that big. Do you guesstimate a weight?
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Forever Fishing »

Nice catch! 8)
Lagoonfisher
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Lagoonfisher »

holy crap thats a big talapia!!!
greyloon
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by greyloon »

I'm guessing the thing was at least 18-20" long. My guess on the weight is plus 3 lbs, but it could be more. It was almost as wide as long. If bream got that big, you'd need heavy tackle to bring 'em in. That's an Igloo Playmate cooler, the big one, in the background. It had a tough mouth. Tried to string it, but couldn't get the point to go through. It wouldn't fit in the cooler.

I understand that in California, they have quite a following on some lakes with fishermen. They supposedly will take worms. A fellow that fishes Ben's Branch in Kingwood says they hit a 1/4 oz inline spinner in green works well for them.
daniel78222
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by daniel78222 »

that is a big ol male talapia
Arnulfo Curiel
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Arnulfo Curiel »

Wow, thats the biggest one I've seen, great catch!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I'll admit, my first reaction on seeing that picture was to double-check the date of the post to be sure it wasn't April 1! Thought it might be one of those giant fish-pillows! :D

Truly awesome fish.
greyloon
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by greyloon »

If you look at the eye, you may not be able to tell, but it was blind in the one shown. Don't know what it is, but about every fifth catfish I've caught that's over 5-6 lbs appears to be blind in one eye. The largest I co-caught with a friend was a 29 lb blue cat on a jug line and was blind in one eye.
greyloon
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by greyloon »

For a bit of perspective, go here and click on the picture:

http://greyloon-greyloon.blogspot.com/

Don't worry, the only thing there thus far is the picture of the Tilapia. :)
Longhorns

Post by Longhorns »

I've caught a couple of 1/2 blind cats this year. Wonder if it was damage caused by debris from last years floods?

That was a huge tilapia. Not sure I could have IDed it. Wonder who here will claim you are a criminal for "releasing" the fish and not gutting it.
greyloon
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by greyloon »

Longhorns wrote:I've caught a couple of 1/2 blind cats this year. Wonder if it was damage caused by debris from last years floods?

That was a huge tilapia. Not sure I could have IDed it. Wonder who here will claim you are a criminal for "releasing" the fish and not gutting it.
Believe me, if I could have held on, it would be in the freezer right now. Would not have gutted it immediately, though its the law. It would not fit into my cooler, didn't have a fillet knife so couldn't make it fit easily, so the only way to keep it fresh would have been to keep it alive. Would have had to plead ignorance if the game warden stopped me. But, I've seen two game wardens on Lake Houston in 4 years and one was in his truck. So, only one on the water.

I actually wasn't sure what it was when I caught the thing. It looked like smaller tilapia I've taken in the cast net, but it was so large. That's why I took the photo and checked on-line when I got home. There must be at least five different types of tilapia. They are members of the cichlid famly, but the cicilids I'm familiar with are more aggressive.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

greyloon wrote:If you look at the eye, you may not be able to tell, but it was blind in the one shown. Don't know what it is, but about every fifth catfish I've caught that's over 5-6 lbs appears to be blind in one eye. The largest I co-caught with a friend was a 29 lb blue cat on a jug line and was blind in one eye.
I wonder if those are catfish someone caught and released. I noticed when running my jug lines setup with circle hooks a few weeks ago, that MANY of the fish I caught had the circle curve into the eye area.
WATER HOG
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by WATER HOG »

Holy crap don't let EWB see this beast !
Captain Gorton

Post by Captain Gorton »

wowzeerz. That looks to be the biggest I've ever seen and it would have made a fine meal. Were you cast netting while in your boat or is this not possible? I know I could not do it cause I can barely throw a castnet from the shore.
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

WOW! I heard you can catch em over on the west fork wiht a cast net but I had no idea they were getting that darn big! Thats gotta be some sort of lake record.
deluna-tic
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by deluna-tic »

WOW, thats huge.
greyloon
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by greyloon »

Captain Gorton wrote:wowzeerz. That looks to be the biggest I've ever seen and it would have made a fine meal. Were you cast netting while in your boat or is this not possible? I know I could not do it cause I can barely throw a castnet from the shore.
I was throwing it while wading. I stopped at a wooded area to take car of nature's business and decided to try for some fresh bait before I took off again. I'm not good with the net, but can do it well enough to get bait. Can toss a 3.5 footer from my kayak or canoe, not well, but it does work.
castaways

Tilapia

Post by castaways »

Check this out: You may have had a record right there.

http://www.landbigfish.com/articles/def ... fc-9152004

Tilapia record broken again, this time on Lake Hogue Arkansas.
WALDENBURG - For the third time this summer, the state tilapia record has fallen. A Little Rock woman on the northeast Arkansas lake caught a 1-pound 12-ounce fish.

Sheila Easterly caught the 14-inch tilapia on a red worm. The previous record was held by Patrick Green of Manila and weighed 1 pound, 11 ounces. Green had broken his record of 1 pound, 8 ounces. Both of Green’s fish were caught on Mallard Lake in northeast Arkansas.

Tilapia have been stocked in the northeast Arkansas lakes as part of a study to determine whether the fish would significantly enhance the food source for predators such as bass and crappie. One of the unknowns was how well that they would be accepted by anglers. Lake managers have been surprised to see the excitement these exotic fish generated among northeast Arkansas’s fishermen.

Interviews of anglers suggest that panfish fishermen harvest many of the tilapia annually. Most tilapia fishermen use red worms as bait. There is no daily creel limit for tilapia.

Tilapia are semitropical fish and cannot survive in cold water. This cold intolerance causes a die-off during the early winter season when water temperatures approach 47 degrees and fish may be picked up with a dip net.
greyloon
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by greyloon »

Texas state record, rod and reel, is over 6 lbs. By castnet, over 4 lbs. The R&R record is from Gibbons, the castnet problem from Lake Houston.
castaways

Tilapia

Post by castaways »

Well your's was close enough I bet. I'd frame that picture.